Wednesday, August 17, 2011

168.

The feeling is that I tried to make an automobile. I ended up with three round wheels and one square one. And that in this draft I have been adding wheels. So that it still has one square wheel but now there are wheels on the roof, the windshield, popping out of the trunk, wheels in the driver's seat.

Or: I read a book review in 1980 or so that slammed the novelist for saying that a character had been run over by a "lime green car." "Who cares that it's lime green?" the reviewer asked. It was cited as an unimportant detail thrown in to make something seem more grounded. I have had the fear of God in me ever since that the details I think ground a scene are in fact a fleet of lime green cars, in this case covered hood to boot with big, shiny, aerodynamically crushing wheels.

1 comment:

Richard LeComte said...

Obviously getting run over by a lime-green car symbolizes the tackiness at the heart of the American experience. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1972-Dodge-Demon-340-4spd-/180711596339?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item2a13402133